Cristiano Ronaldo will not return to his boyhood club Sporting in the summer, his agent Jorge Mendes said after the Juventus forward’s mother Dolores Aveiro insisted she would try to bring him back to the Portuguese club.
Ronaldo, 36, has one year remaining on his contract at Juventus but has been linked with a departure this summer to Sporting, the club where he began his senior career.
After Sporting clinched the Portuguese title for the first time since 2002 on Tuesday, Ronaldo’s mother Aveiro said “next year he [Ronaldo] will play in Alvalade [Sporting’s stadium].”
“Cristiano is very proud of Sporting winning the championship, as he has demonstrated publicly,” Mendes told Portuguese newspaper Record.
“But at the moment, his career plans do not go through Portugal.”
Ronaldo leads the way in the Serie A goalscoring charts this term with 28 goals, but his club Juventus have had a difficult season and could miss out on the Champions League next season. They host league champions Inter Milan later on Saturday.
Diego Simeone has backed Luis Suarez to rediscover his goalscoring form and fire Atletico Madrid to the La Liga title.
With just two rounds of games remaining, Atletico lead the table on 80 points, two ahead of Real Madrid and four ahead of Barcelona.
Suarez, 34 who was allowed to leave Barca to join Atletico last summer has 19 league goals this season but hasn’t found the net since March 21.
“We’re entering the Suarez zone,” Simeone said in a news conference on Saturday. “It’s the ideal moment for a player like him to find and resolve the situations that the team will need him to. He’s used to these kinds of games, and he has the experience to do it.”
Atletico host Osasuna on Sunday evening, while Real Madrid travel to Athletic Bilbao and Barcelona play Celta Vigo, with all 10 La Liga matches being played simultaneously.
“We’ll keep doing what we always do,” Simeone said, when asked about that high-pressure situation. “We’ll try to win our match, that’s most important. The team looks hopeful and enthusiastic to me.”
Suarez has said that the manner of his Barcelona departure — when he was deemed surplus to requirements at Camp Nou by coach Ronald Koeman — left him desperate to prove a point.
His form peaked in January and February, scoring seven goals in four games, but he has struggled since then, coinciding with the team’s worsening form.